Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Where Has His Integrity Gone? The Third Presidential Debate

Tell me. Where is the real John McCain?

I found this by far McCain's most disturbing performance in a debate. It was like he drank a potion that changed him from McCain to McNasty. Another chance to talk substance, and instead he spent most of his time either attempting to terraform Obama's plans to suit his own needs or else engaging in character assassination. When McCain won the Republican nomination, I never thought his campaign would look like this. The man I respected has disappeared.

And Obama? The fire has dimmed a bit. But that's fine with me. I much prefer the solid, steady performance I'm seeing from him now. It bodes well for an Obama presidency. I also find it amusing that at a debate between a Democrat and a Republican, the talk of sacrifice and personal responsibility came from the Democrat.

Obama must have found it extremely frustrating to have his positions repeatedly twisted beyond recognition by McCain. Unlike McCain, however, he remained calm and composed. McCain looked like he was in pain most of the debate. At least that's how I interpret that grimace masquerading as a smile. If this is the best McCain can do in a confrontational situation, I truly do not want him representing my country to the world.

McCain seemed to have taken a page out of Palin's debate manual this round, minus the humor. He ignored question after question to talk about his pet themes. Worse, instead of engaging in a substantive debate, McCain dismissed a number of profound statements from Obama with cracks about Obama's eloquence. I figure McCain must not have had anything worthwhile to say about his own plans. That might be what worries me the most.

No comments: