Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Impressions (slightly delayed) of the Vice-Presidential Debate

What can I say, I love Joe Biden! I love him even when he sticks both feet in his mouth. But I wanted him to do well in the debate. What I did not want was for Biden to treat Palin like McCain treated Obama. To my relief, Biden clearly took her seriously. He interacted with her as an adversary. And while this might sound negative, it is a mark of equality. I wish Palin had given Biden the respect he gave her. The nudge nudge wink wink treatment got old fast.

What also got old was Palin's repeated and blatant refusal to answer a number of the questions. Once or twice I can accept. It wouldn't exactly be the first time I heard a candidate evade a question to promote their talking points. But in this case it quickly became obvious that there were a number of subjects about which Palin could not engage in discourse. Subjects that, personally, I consider quite important.

I also consider it important to come away with clear impressions of their plans for the country. Biden gave me a tangible vision for our country. Palin gave me rhetoric and emotionally charged buzzwords.

As much as this bothered me, I found something that bothered me even more. I didn't notice it right away. It was more like an aftertaste from the debate. The farther away I got from the debate, the more it tugged at me. And then it hit me. Palin had patronized me.
I know folksy; I grew up with folksy. Palin hadn't been folksy. She had been condescending. I don't want to be winked at. I want to be treated with respect. Biden treated us respectfully. He honored our intelligence. And finally, in a moment of incredible vulnerability, Biden gave of himself to the voters. Palin gave us a snow job.

No comments: