Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sheesh

I'm not sure who frustrates me more; Pelosi and her poorly timed comments about the Bush Administration, the Republicans who try and claim this was sufficient cause to vote against the bill, or the constituents who refuse to see the interconnected nature of our economy.

Personally, I don't think the executives of the companies being rescued should be allowed to keep their jobs. Two weeks pay and a pink slip sounds about right. And yes, I want this as much for my own desire to see blood flow as that it would seem to make sense. I get why the average person does not want to the the multi-millionaires bailed out.

But I also get that I don't exist in financial isolation. It doesn't matter that I've never bought stock or that I don't have a mortgage; if these institutions go down I'm gonna get hurt. So no matter that a part of me would love to see Wall Street crash and burn, I want Congress to pass this imperfect piece of Legislation.

What I don't get is why so many people can't or won't see that they cannot take down Wall Street without taking down themselves. Our economy is too intertwined to indulge ourselves in such acts of self-gratification.

No comments: